If you read my last blog post regarding the ill effects of eating grain, this is a continuation of that blog post, introducing some of the healthy foods that can be eaten instead of grain. If you missed my last blog post, you can find it here.
Detoxing From Grains - What to Expect
When you make the conscious choice to remove all grains and wheat from your diet, you are going to go through a period of detoxification. The reason for this is in part of the protein called Glidan, which acts as an opiate in the brain, much like class of drugs called opiates, it stimulates your brain to crave more grains. Once glidan is removed from your diet, the brain and body go into a slight withdrawal phase. This is called opiate withdrawal. Now not everyone will go through this withdrawal phase, it happens to about 40 percent of individuals who stop eating grains.
This is by no means as terrible as coming off of a hard drug, however it isn't pleasant by any means. The withdrawal symptoms can include, nausea, headaches, fatigue, depression and mood swings. Now the good news is that everyone survives and the symptoms only last two days to a week.
Now there are ways to cope with these withdrawal symptoms. Below are some tips to offer some relieve if you begin to experience any of these side effects after coming off of grains.
- Pick a good time to do this - Make sure when you cut grains, pick a time where you are less stressed and under pressure to do certain tasks.
- Hydrate - It is very easy to become dehydrated when you cut out grains, because when you start to lose weight, much of the weight in the beginning will be water weight, so it is really easy to become dehydrated. Hydrate more than usual.
- Add back the Salt - When you lose water, you also lose salt, so add back into your diet a mineral rich salt, like sea salt Not a lot, but a light sprinkle over your healthy alternative food will be fine.
- Add Magnesium into your diet - Virtually everyone has a magnesium deficiency due to the lack of magnesium in our produce and water supply. Very often when someone cuts out grains they experience cramps of the hands and Charlie horses in the calves, so consider a magnesium supplement.
- Pamper yourself - Get a massage, watch a funny movie and DON'T EXERCISE. You are going to feel awful so don't make it worse :)
- Seek Support - This could be a friend, spouse, neighbour, someone who understands what you're going through. It helps to talk about what you're going through and have someone listen and lend a sympathetic ear.
Remember there is nothing wrong with you, it's what's right with you. but it is a process you will have to go through to get better.
Eating Alternative - What to Eat
So if you have just cut out grains, what exactly do you eat? A simple fundamental rule is to look for single, one ingredient foods. So if you have greens and vegetables in your refrigerator you know that's free of wheat, gluten and other grains. Also clean cuts of meats such as lamb, poultry, steaks etc. Raw almonds and nuts are great too, so real, natural single ingredient foods where no food manufacturer has added some form of grain.
Keep in mind also that we just took away this appetite stimulant from your food intake. So a very common theme that many people observe is that they are not as hungry during the day. So now you can focus on fueling the body properly throughout the day.
The other not so obvious problem is that wheat is often hidden in processed foods and called different names like "Rue" or "Hydrolyzed Vegetable protein" or "Penko" There are about 40 alias for wheat and a dozen for corn. So the solution is to not eat foods that have a label. However if you do eat some processed foods, just be aware that wheat can be hidden with different names.
Additionally do not reach for "gluten-free foods. Gluten free foods usually have junk carbohydrates that are added which make the food taste the same and have the same consistency as their grain counterparts.
If you would really like to see some recipes and meal examples that are free of grains, wheat and gluten, please become a member. For only 49.95/month you will be introduced to recipes that are healthy and are void of grains and wheat. You can become a member by today by clicking here
Of course if you stop eating grains and wheats are you going to be in perfect health? No of course not. Just like an alcoholic who stops drinking also has nutritional deficiencies as well. Health may not recover right away, it starts with wheat and grain elimination, but the full path may vary. That is why I coach people online to help them transform their health from the inside out. Because it became clear to me that there is no one solution that fits everybody. There are basic principles that are involved, but we all respond to nutrition differently to fulfill our nutritional needs.
So if you're looking to completely transform your health I would highly encourage you to hire me as an online coach. I say this not to sell you anything, but to help you become the healthiest version of yourself.
Feel free to message me with any questions you may have about eliminating wheat from your diet. I will always answer anyone that wants to discuss health, fitness and nutrition. You can contact me directly here.
Till next time, keep on thriving!