Saturday, April 17, 2010

CN Tower Race Perspectives

Well I finished climbing up the CN Tower for the eighth time so far! I have to say it was such an amazing experience! Climbing the tower this year was different then the years gone by as I also had to climb the tower AGAIN because I was part of a the AUUM/Canada StairClimbing Association Group!

So here is my experience this year! :)

This year I again wanted to be the first one up the tower and have a clear shot up to the top.

I woke up at 3:45 am Saturday morning. It was fun waking up this early! :) I Arrived at the Tower around 5 am, and there was already a line up!!! I started doing a little bit of a warm-up and waking up the body. I actually was caught on video warming up, so I will be posting that when I get that video :)

The Registration process was quick and painless and by 6:08 am I was on my way up the tower.

My strategy this year was to go all out and not stop until I get to the top. I have heard of different racing strategies like start off slower and push harder on as you climb, but I really want to always push my hardest right from the start. I am like the Steve Prefontaine of Stair Racing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQojAJAClIY

So as I neared the halfway mark (Floor 72) I was at 5 minutes and 1 second. When I came up near floor 120 I started to feel the effects of climbing so high so fast. I was close to 10 minutes. By the time I ended at 144 I finished at 11 minutes and 15 seconds.

I was happy with my placing and time, but now I can finish the climb eventually under 10 minutes. I am going to still train hard and push my way toward beating the 10 minute mark.

I believe I might have to switch my nutrition to a more organic diet and eliminating some of the foods that may slow my body down.

I also need to get under 190 lbs so I am lighter and am able to have more explosive power!

My second time was ALOT of fun! I ended up finishing this climb in 15 minutes and 53 seconds. It was a fun climb and I ended up cheering alot of people in and having fun climbing the stairs.

I did a lot of technique training and explosive muscle training as I climbed.

Overall I feel great, my lungs feel a bit weezy, but my legs feel amazing!

My future goal is to climb the CN Tower 24 times in a 24 hour period. I plan to do this in September this year!

Till next time!

Keep On Steppin!

Trevor
Founder
The Canada StairClimbing Association
289-208-4903

1 comment:

  1. Yay, that is an amazing time. I was a newbie yesterday, it took me 1hr 10 minutes but was the most amazing feeling getting to the top. I found the best part was the support of the fellow climbers, who were giving me encouragement to keep going, the whole way up! Congrats on an great climb!

    ReplyDelete